Musing Mondays: Invisible cities by Italo Calvino


I’ll start this week again by choosing a bookish question from the blog Should Be Reading.

Well, for this Musing Monday I decided to choose #3 – “What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!”

 I’ve been wanting to read Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino for a while now. A few years ago I read If on a Winter's Night a Traveler from Calvino and I loved it. So, when I read the summary of Invisible cities I knew I had to read it.

Here’s the summary (from Amazon):
 
"Kublai Khan does not necessarily believe everything Marco Polo says when he describes the cities visited on his expeditions, but the emperor of the Tartars does continue listening to the young Venetian with greater attention and curiosity than he shows any other messenger or explorer of his." So begins Italo Calvino's compilation of fragmentary urban images. As Marco tells the khan about Armilla, which "has nothing that makes it seem a city, except the water pipes that rise vertically where the houses should be and spread out horizontally where the floors should be," the spider-web city of Octavia, and other marvelous burgs, it may be that he is creating them all out of his imagination, or perhaps he is recreating details of his native Venice over and over again, or perhaps he is simply recounting some of the myriad possible forms a city might take.

 
Since I cannot find the book on nearby public libraries, I’ll have to buy it soon.
What about you, have you read any of Calvino’s books?
 
Related posts:

Related Posts

6 comments

  1. This is a new to me author. I like the sound of the blurb so I'm going to check him out.

    Thanks for stopping by the Harem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that book sounds rather odd...but interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of his books, but I'v heard good things about them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm getting goosebumps. This is the third Musing Monday post that has mentioned Venice. I'm taking that as a sign that it's my next destination! I've got "experience Carnivale in Venice" on my bucket list, and I shall have to look into it now! :) Thanks for sharing, this book sounds quite good.

    I mused about reading styles if you'd like to share yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Venice Carnivale is also on my bucket list - in fact the whole country. I would like to take a tour through Italy :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!

ShareThis